There are number of fruit purees available in market to feed your growing babies and making a healthy addition of fruits in their diet. But they tends to be more expensive and time consuming as you have to search exactly what ingredients are added in the product as it may suits your baby or not. Babies normally switch on to fruits with their morning meal along with a number of yellow and green veggies. Rather than purchasing the food purees from store you can now easily make it at home. This is basically the concept of DIY approach t o food, knowing exactly what ingredients are in the puree and economical also. You can also put in the baby preferences regarding like and dislikes for certain fruits and their combinations or which suit them easily.
You can make fresh puree and can refrigerate it using BAP-free containers for up to 3 days. Freeze leftovers for up to 3 months. Soften overnight in your refrigerator. But more preferably use fresh one. It is also recommendable to use the fruits running in season as they are not only fresh and easily available but also cost effective.
Note: Always check with your pediatrician before introducing your baby to a new food, particularly if your baby has food allergies.
Baby Applesauce: An apple a day keeps the doctor away
This puree can be used for 4+ babies. This is one of the most popular purees made from the red delicious apples as a first fruit for your little ones. It is filled with vitamin C along with fibre and gives bone protection. It also provides strong protection against asthma and lung, breast, liver, colon cancer prevention.
What you have to do for making applesauce is:
- First of all select and purchase fresh apple that is free of bruises and blemishes as well as crisp and juicy. During the season they are easily available and inexpensive. It is best to purchase organic as they are free of chemicals.
- Then wash the apple with three part water and one part vinegar to remove all the bacteria from them. Make them dry and peel with vegetable peeler or knife.
- Cut the apple in half on clean cutting board. Remove the seeds from the core. After that slice the apple into small chunks.
- Cook the apple chunks in the boiling water not more than 10 minutes as more cooking time will destroy the vitamins and minerals in them.
- For smooth puree blend the apple chunks in the blender or food processor, but for chunkier applesauce use potato masher.
- Serve the baby with his applesauce. You can use it simple or can mix with other fruit purees like sweet potato, pumpkin, pear, peach, plum, cherries or strawberries etc.
- Refrigerate or Freeze Leftover Applesauce.
Banana Puree: baby finds this Apealing
This is for baby age 4+ months. Bananas are rich in potassium that helps soothe upset stomach and fight diarrhea. It is sweet and creamy in nature which aids balances in other tart fruits purees like strawberries and blue berries. By adding mashed banana in the yogurt helps aching stomach to recover speedily. To make banana puree you need to follow following steps:
- One and the most important is the selection of right bananas. Select and purchase fresh bananas. Don’t buy under ripped banana having green peel. Go for blemish free yellow peel banana.
- Wash the banana with three part water and one part vinegar to remove all the bacteria from them. Make them dry and peel. Discard the ends and peel of banana.
- For smooth puree blend the banana in the blender or food processor, but for chunkier banana puree use potato masher. Add some milk, to make it smooth.
- Serve the baby with his banana puree. You can use it simple or can mix with other fruit purees like Plum, Cherries, Strawberries, Blueberries, Applesauce, Oatmeal, or Full-fat Greek yogurt etc.
- Refrigerate or Freeze Leftover banana puree.
Peach Puree: As life is peachy
An apple is an excellent thing until you have tried a peach. It is filled with beta-carotene and potassium. It is one of the favorites of baby. It is juicy fruit with 80% moisture content. Among the array of health benefits peach offers, the most important one is the ability to normalize bowel movement by defeating constipation. The fruit is also known for strengthening teeth and bones. To make peach puree for babies you have to follow the following steps:
- Select and purchase the deep orange coloured fruit with reddish blush. It must be fresh and free of blemishes. It is advisable to buy organic fruits because they are free of any chemicals.
- Wash the peaches with three part water and one part vinegar to remove all the bacteria from them. Make them dry.
- Put the peaches in the boiling water for about 1 minute. Immediately remove the peaches from boiling to ice bath. After it has been full submerged, peel the skin with sharp knife.
- Cut the slices of the peaches and can use any spoon to get the pit.
- Make the Puree peaches in a food processor or blender until smooth. Add water as needed to attain required consistency. For chunkier peach puree, which is ideal for babies 10 months or older, mash the peach with a potato masher instead of smooth mixture.
- Serve the baby with his peach puree. You can use it simple or can mix with other fruit purees like sweet potato, pumpkin, pear, peach, plum, cherries or strawberries etc.
Refrigerate or Freeze Leftover peach puree.